Teflon dreper fugler og andre smådyr

Posted: 26/09/2012 in Filosofi
Stikkord: , , , , ,

Foto: Tuimono@Pixabay.com

Jeg kom tilfeldigvis over denne artikkelen da jeg søkte på nettet om teflonforgiftning. Historien er tragisk, men det er viktig at den kommer ut slik at andre slipper å miste kjæledyr pga teflonforgiftning.

«When I was a kid, we had a blue and green parakeet named «Wardie.» He could squack his name and was fond of sitting on our shoulder in the kitchen near his open cage when we ate.

One afternoon I skipped school and doubled back to the house. Both of my parents were at work and wouldn’t be home until dinner time. It was just me and Wardie. I decided to cook a hotdog in the new «miracle» non-stick pan that Mom had just bought. I set the electric burner to «HI» to warm up the pan and dashed into the living room where I had a movie on the TV. I can’t remember what it was, but it must have been interesting. After a couple of minutes I smelled something metallic. I ran to the stove and turned the burner off. There was no smoke. The pan had a dark brown stain that wouldn’t wash away. I was in trouble now. I took it out back and hid it in the woods.I was feeling the guilt of missing school and ruining Mom’s new pan when I noticed that Wardie was lying motionless on the bottom of his cage. He was dead. When my folks returned from work they were so upset about Wardie that they didn’t even notice the pan was missing. I somehow knew that I had killed him, but until now I never knew how.

Who knew? They knew.
It turns out that someone already knew how Wardie died, along with thousands of other small pets. They knew, but they kept it quiet. To be fair, for about 50 years scientists from DuPont have published studies documenting the temperatures at which non-stick cookware coatings begin to break apart, releasing toxins into the air. They observed multiple cases of teflon flu in their workers. Two of eight women working on the early Teflon production line gave birth to seriously deformed babies. DuPont and private labs conducted a series of studies beginning in the 1950s to identify the toxic components from heated Teflon. They killed many birds and rats in efforts to understand the potency of the gases and particles. Yet they posted no warnings on the pots, pans and kettles that could be expected to impact the public.»
Kilde: Forever Teflon

In two to five minutes on a conventional stovetop, cookware coated with Teflon and other non-stick surfaces can exceed temperatures at which the coating breaks apart and emits toxic particles and gases linked to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of pet bird deaths and an unknown number of human illnesses each year, according to tests commissioned by Environmental Working Group (EWG).
Kilde: Canaries in the kitchen

240 grader er nok til å frigjøre giftige partikler
Man trodde først at man måtte opp i skyhøy varme for at teflonpannenskal avgi giftige partikler og gasser. Dette har blitt tilbakevist. Det viser seg at allerede ved 240 grader løsner giftige partikler, og allerede ved 360 grader avgis det giftig teflongass. Ifølge Opplysningskontoret for Kjøtt stekes en god norsk biff på 260-280 grader.
Kilde: Dagbladet

15/9 2013 skriver NRK på sine nettsider at «Giftstoffet perfluoroktansyre (PFOA) er nå ført opp på EUs liste over kjemiske stoffer som gir særlig grunn til bekymring» og at forsker Kristine Bjerve Gutzkow ved Folkehelseinstituttet ikke selv bruker slike panner pga giftfaren.  Fint at dette endelig blir forbudt, men jeg synes det er merkelig at det skal ta 10 år før ting skjer. At giftstoffer blir frigjort ved lave temperaturer ble allerede bevist i 2003.



Legg igjen en kommentar

Fyll inn i feltene under, eller klikk på et ikon for å logge inn:


Du kommenterer med bruk av din WordPress.com konto. Logg ut /  Endre )


Du kommenterer med bruk av din Google+ konto. Logg ut /  Endre )


Du kommenterer med bruk av din Twitter konto. Logg ut /  Endre )


Du kommenterer med bruk av din Facebook konto. Logg ut /  Endre )


Kobler til %s